Science Activity #1 Galileo Galilei

Thursday, February 11, 2016 0 Comments A+ a-

Well, I decided to blog this down so that I can motivate myself for more science ideas for Imm. Sometimes as he grew older, I felt that I am unable to catch up with him and he is in fact getting smarter than me by leaps and bounds. It is ok, since he has my genes, intellect is not a problem. Oops. But anyway I felt that I have to improve myself and match up to his enthusiasm for learning. As adults, sometimes I feel a little dreary as we are used to the same old normal things we take for granted but I love how his enthusiasm motivates me to look at things at different angles.

Recently, I signed him up for extra murral classes here. It is a pity as he could only attend 4 lessons but because there were only 4 lessons, I am more determined to grasp each concept and take its ideas more seriously to bring it to life for him. Last week, the teacher taught the class about Galileo Galilei, who developed the telescope. They also touched on planets and gravity.

What they did was to let two objects of equal size but not equal weight fall (eg a golf ball and ping pong ball) and they will reach the ground simultaneously as a result of gravity with the teacher standing on a chair. ( I mean, I have taken gravity so much for granted that I don't bother thinking about it) And he could explain to me what they did in school and also said "it is because of gravity".

Then, Imm also brought back materials to make his own planetarium which consists of this:
1) Polystyrene cup
2) black plastic bag cut into a square (20 cm by 20 cm)
3) Elastic band
4) A pin
5) Small flashlight

1) Take the cup and make a hole the size of the 5c coin in the bottom
2) Tie the black plastic bag over the opening of the cup and fasten with elastic band
3) Using a pin and a nail, make holes in the plastic.
4) When it is dark, shine the light through the hole you make in the bottom of the cup.

Imm was so excited to see the little lights (planets) appearing on the wall. These days, he loves playing with flashlights and just seeing shadows appear. Something simple for sharing and consolidating. :)