All Natural Snow Skin Mooncake

Thursday, October 08, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

Today I tried making this!!



When I went back to Singapore, I had a mission in mind and that was to make mooncakes since the Mid Autumn Festival was drawing near... I checked out some recipes and bought my fried glutinous rice flour (known as Koufien) from Kitchen Capers. Yes, this was the only thing I needed to buy from Singapore and of course the moulds. I wanted to find the traditional type actually but came across this cute Doraemon set and decided to get it! Also, I wanted to make the snow skin type, so it was not very traditional already. :)

This was the recipe I used and I liked it for these reasons:
bakingtaitai.blogspot.co.za/2014/08/healthy-all-natural-snow-skin-mooncake.html

1) It was very clear with pictures
2) I did not need to use shortening (I came across some that required and did not want them though I might replace with oil or butter if I wanted to do it again!)
3) Healthy ingredients

Of cos it was easier I did not make my own lotus paste but it still took 1.5 hours.

Ingredients:

150 g fried glutinous rice flour (kou fien)
180 g icing sugar
40 g olive oil
200 ml water
1 tsp green tea powder
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder

480 g lotus paste (or you can choose other paste)
40 g chopped macadamia nuts (did not use for me, you can also replace with other chopped nuts or melon seeds)

1) After mixing the icing sugar and the fried glutinous rice flour, I add in the olive oil and water gradually, mixing at the same time after the dough is formed (do not pour in all at once)

2) I massaged the dough quite a bit to soften it.

3) I divided the dough into 2 portions (285 g each) , then divide one portion into half (142 g). I mix one half portion with matcha powder and the other half with cocoa powder till well combined.

4) I then divided each coloured dough into 19 portions (white dough 15 g, cocoa dough and matcha dough each 7.5 g)

5) I did not use macadamia nuts unlike in the actual recipe, being unsure if the kids will like. So I divided the 480 g of paste into 19 portions (still about 25 g)



6) I gathered one portion from each colour and combined into a bowl. I used a rolling pin to flatten (sprinkled the table top with some flour too as well as it tends to stick) and wrap in the fillings. roll into balls.


7) After that, I put into the moulds and pressed it firm. I guessed my mould was pretty big for this recipe! Becomes pancake instead. haha!


It is very healthy right? Olive oil used instead of shortening, it tastes good too! I might try making my own lotus paste next time if I am ambitious. I haven't let the kids try yet as I intend to do a pretend play session tomorrow.. to pretend that it is the Mid Autumn Festival! :)