Celebrating Our National Day

Friday, August 07, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

Although the plane ride might be 13 hours away, Singapore is never far from my heart. I have been trying to prepare the kids for National Day and here are some little activities I did according to their age. Through them, I can live out my nostalgic feelings of feeling the bustle in Singapore. Even more so when everyone is mentioning SG50 this SG50 that on facebook. Oh well!

I did this almost two weeks ago.. painting this flag while we did the words 星星, 月亮.






And then thinking of my pretend play this week coupled with Imm's interest, as well as inspiration from http://www.ahappymum.com/2015/07/singapore-landmarks-flashcards-pencil.html, I decided to do one that is like this!

1) First, I made some laminated cards of Singapore landmarks.


And wrote brief descriptions behind the pictures.


2) I got two characters : the lion and ninja to be the characters in my story. The lion is chosen very significantly. So apparently, lion meets ninja and wants to bring him to his city. So Imm built the aeroplane using lego for them.




3) There they go!!


Then we went to visit the places on my cards one by one and I read the descriptions. I was surprised Imm asked me where were the words I was reading and tried to follow. I thought it was only legible to myself as I intended for me to read and for him to listen only.

Then, we ended by singing the songs "We are Singapore". Before this, I have let them listened to some of the songs and they were slightly familiar. Ko catches on to songs easily, (remember: "let it go! let it go!") Before that, I have soft laminated their flags and put in balloon sticks for them to wave, alas, not so secure as Imm likes to see how things are connected. Anyway they fulfill my purpose.


Last week, I did present and past tense for Imm using this song. All he had to do was circle. Singapore in past and present.



And sight words learning using "Count On Me, Singapore".


My purpose is to keep the idea of our country always close to their hearts. May we never forget our homeland.

Learning:

1) Intense recognition of flag that they will never say it is China/Hong Kong again.
2) Finger training through pasting and painting
3) Story telling and Imagination
4) Recognition of landmarks and learning how to identify some words (For Imm)
5) Practical skills of Using Lego
6) Language - Present and Past tense with the most appropriate song
7) Sight Words Learning with another appropriate song