Spending Time Is An Art

Sunday, August 02, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

I was thrilled that I could do something new with Imm today. Initially, we were looking to enroll him for music classes (to learn a musical instrument) but it doesn't seem to be very popular here and I couldn't find any online. Somehow, I chanced upon this art class, emailed the lady and got a response. However, when I saw the details, I felt a bit unsure if I should let Imm join as Sat classes were for 6 years old and above. We decided to just go for the trial class first.


We arrived early at Michael Oak School. There is a nice playground and the kids played around. Imm loved to climb on the "web" especially while Ko went on the swing (as usual).


Oh Yay! Class started! The teacher was showing us some pics of the sculptures in Kirstenbosch, the famous botannical garden in Cape Town. Seriously I had no idea what to  make, being not so art inclined. Therefore, the trial class was needed not only for Imm but also for me. 

 Strangely enough, Imm and Ko behaved like very good students while the teacher described the pics and I am so proud of them!

*Well, check out the expression of the girl next to Imm for starters. I am feeling the same way but I smile for the camera.*

Ok, clay, what should I do? But Imm always seemed to know what he is doing when it comes to art. (until he whines, "Mummy, I don't know") and I have to rack my brains to rescue him. Fortunately, it didn't happen this way as there were sculptures of dinosaurs in Kirstenbosch. WOooHoooo! I wanted to make a tyrannosaurus but no matter what, Imm converted it into a stegosaurus by pinching the clay at the top to make the kite shaped plates. He then used the toothpick to make patterns to make the rough texture after being prompted by the teacher.

What was Ko doing? She also had her own clay and was busy poking at the clay with the toothpick. It was rather nice to just let her sit there with her own clay though she wasn't supposed to be attending the class.





Not too bad right? And we didn't even refer to any pictures.

Took a pic of where the clay was from!


We ended up signing up for the remaining 7 art classes because we felt that Imm really enjoyed it. When we asked him, he said he wanted to continue. Next week will still be clay and there will also be watercolour and drawings subsequently. Hub said he will take turns with me to sit in with Imm. I feel that this is time productively spent when a child focuses and does something he enjoys. He is able to channel his energy to create something and we, as parents hope to provide this environment whenever possible. :) I felt that I also learnt a lot from doing activities with them. An apprehensive experience somehow became more enjoyable.

Next, we went to shop at Makro, our favourite stop when we want to buy in bulk. We ate at Wiesenhof Cafe since it was a stone's throw from Makro. We had Mac and Cheese for the kids. The spaghetti inside was really soft and  Ko seriously loved it.


And Steak and Avo wrap for Hub and I.


We also had nutella with toast for Imm. He was busy chomping it down cos we banned it at home for him. He had his year's worth of nutella there. He ate a little of the Mac and Cheese after that. I was surprised that the Mac and Cheese, plus the wrap tasted rather good! Not all cafes are like that. And being appropriately situated near Makro made me feel that the food would be more for convenience than quality.

A pic at Makro!