Craft #6 Paper Plate Penguins - Fishing In Division

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

This week, I wanted to input the concept of division to Imm. Thus I just made a few cards and laminated them. I chose a simple number : 12 and cut out 12 fish that looked like the one at the bottom. We will be fishing them later but I did the fishing the next day.


The cards looked like this.


We did the cards one by one starting with 2, 3, 4 then 12 penguins. Imm would give A penguin 1 fish, B penguin 1 fish then back to A again to make sure that the penguins had one each time. He could grasp the concept easily and could answer correctly when I ask so in the end how many fish each penguin had.


The next day, I chanced upon this art and decided that it is simple and easy to do for their age groups. The idea came from this facebook group called DIY Tutorials.

I prepared two paper plates and folded one for Ko, thinking that Imm can try to do the next one. I used foam paper to cut out two triangles for their mouths and cut out circles using hard paper and then used a marker to colour the eyes.


Ko really enjoyed painting and always wanted to do by herself. Being very OCD, I will go "AHHH!! You painted the white part red!" She will look at me, as though to say "what's the big deal mum? That's artistic." Imm on the other hand could paint by himself rather well. He will ask me to rescue him when he accidentally dabbed a bit of black paint onto the white part.


Pasting the eyes and the mouth!


And now, to further develop my division game... we did fishing! That was what the paper clip was attached to the fish was for. I like to laminate the fish so it doesn't matter even when it is put in water. Imm will fish a fish for his penguin and Ko will fish another for her penguin, further to input division.


Doing the counting next!


After that, it was free play for them by fishing letters.