Simple Hands on Fractions

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

Bought this set from Popular when I was back in Singapore the last time. Though it said for primary level, I couldn't help but get it because it was on promo. I can't help but realize I am going more for items cos of the deals.... this is gradual auntism...

Last week, I input to Imm since he was cutting his playdoh. So I thought I can also just use this at the same time.


The set comes with plastic shapes like this and some foam shapes.


It also has a book like this:


I asked Imm to place on the page and then told him that the two sides should be equal. When you and Ko share a pie, each one should be equal.. means you will have half and Ko will have half.


We then proceeded to do with playdoh again, this time with more purpose. It is like making a pizza using playdoh by using something round to cut it out. He enjoyed it the last time so I know he will have fun in the same way now. He used the plastic 1/2 plates to make the outline, cut the outline of the round shape out. He then proceeded to cut it into half.


 Tada!!


We proceeded to do a quarter the next day. The good thing is now he is going to teach Ko the same thing. :)


I further developed my input when I saw this online: 


I described to him the total number or parts is the number below and the parts that are shaded are on top. Sometimes he will try his luck; he will count the total number of parts and just look for the fraction that has the number.



For me, no harm doing basic introduction and then share ideas when the appropriate scenarios come along...

Have fun!