The Reading Journey - Part 3

Friday, July 10, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

I didn't do much of word building initially because I just wanted to introduce all the 3 letter word with different vowels. We played a lot with LMA and I helped him in word building as he was not confident yet. Because of the amount of reading he did at the same time with emphasis on 3 letter words, it started to click into his brain. :) So now I feel he is more ready for word building after having gone through most of the 3 letter words with different vowels in the middle. I know of mummies who will do word building at the same time as recognizing and reading the words but I just didn't want to stress Immanuel up earlier as he will say "I don't know how to make the word".

So now he is more confident, I will ask him what sounds he hear in the word "cat", choose the letters and arrange them. He likes this unifix cubes a lot!! They are also in red and blue,  vowels in red and consonants in blue, just like for LMA. They also have small and big letters depending on how you turn the cubes. I also purchased the cards on the left from Amazon for word building.



Using Unifix cubes once again! I made my own sentences, ask him to pick the most appropriate word and then make the word. I will take out certain letters to help him so he does not feel overwhelmed. Remember, confidence is key!!

This is the last part I did when I took out all the words of middle letter "U" with different endings like "un, ug" etc and he matched the pictures to the words.


Currently, I am doing more of exercises from books for more revision before moving on to the Blue Box. It has been really fun trying to make the activities that cater to Immanuel's needs. I am the type who will keep thinking which part is difficult to understand and bring it down to his level to teach him and reach him. Make it fun, make it varying, let it be enjoyable. Hope you enjoy this sharing as much as I did and it can encourage other mummies to be more creative with their children as well!